Decorating is fun for many people, but for some it can be overwhelming when trying to put design ideas together. And no one wants a costly decorating failure.
So, let’s get started and see if we can get through some of the basics in decorating.
One thing that is easy to determine is your design style.
- When you look at something you either like it, want it, dislike it, or don’t care for it.
By starting with your opinion on likes and dislikes you will determine your design style.
There are many styles in design including:
- Country, Arts & Craft, Contemporary, Mediterranean, Modern, Traditional, Tropical, Western, Eclectic, and more.
When decorating your home it is best to start with one room.
- Work that room into the design decor that fits your style. Try to stay within the design style you truly like. Some styles can overlap some, but if you start bringing in too many design styles it will make a confusing impression.
Take this circumstance for an example:
- Have you ever walked into someone’s home and as you stepped into the living room you immediately became confused? Right there in front of the overstuffed floral country style sofa was a modern style coffee table with metal legs and a glass top. At the end of the sofa was an Arts & Craft floor lamp with a strip lamp shade. You saw floral wallpaper on one wall and stripes wallpaper on the next. One room of confusing decorating led to another room of the same.
The above scenario is the perfect example of what not to do. We are not saying do not mixed design styles, because there are ways to blend different styles together and get a great result.
- For instance, an Eclectic element can enhance a Contemporary Style decorated room. It depends on what the Eclectic element is and how it is used.
Again, decorating may not be easy for many of us, but a common theme or design style is the easiest way to approach decorating.
- When shopping in furniture stores you will see how designers choose and place rooms for display. Every furniture store knows that room arrangements are the best way to make a sale. They know that a customer may be shopping for a sofa and when that customer comes across a sofa they like, will also see the floor lamp and chair that compliments that sofa and, very likely, buy more than just the sofa.
These stores are a great way to find your style in design.
- Visit several stores and take notes on what style you like, what style you want, and what style you don’t want.
- Stay with the look you like and take note of what you like about it. Take note of the style, i.e. modern, traditional, Mediterranean, western/country, the color theme, and furniture pieces that you like.
- Take note on how they are arranged and the materials used.
- You will see wall color in displays, as well. Room color is an important element in decorating. Take pictures with your phone for reference.
You will very quickly find your design style and decorating will become, who knows, fun and enjoyable.
If you are still not sure or comfortable on decorating your home, take the information you have collected to a friend or professional who has the gift of design. You will find that those that have a passion for design are always ready and willing to share their gift of design.
Once you have completed one room, the second room will come easier. And, remember decorating does not have to be an expensive task. You will find great deals, whether in used furniture or pieces on sale. And, remember that paint is cheap.
Now, with this information you should be up for the task. Be encouraged and happy decorating.